NAPA provides study materials to help individuals prepare for the NQPA™ certification exam. The NQPA-1: Plan Fundamentals online course, NQPA-2: Advanced Plan Design online course, and the resource guides in each course are the preferred study materials for the examination.
Both online courses are divided into five modules, and each contains a resource guide focused on examination content. Here is the breakdown of the NQPA™ study materials:
NQPA-1: Plan Fundamentals
- NQPA-1 Online Course
- NQPA-1 Resource Guide PDF
- NQPA-1 Assessment
NQPA-2: Advanced Plan Designs
- NQPA-2 Online Course
- NQPA-2 Resource Guide PDF
- NQPA-2 Assessment
- NQPA™ Practice Exam
- NQPA™ Final Exam
NQPA-1: Plan Fundamentals Online Course
- Module 1: Introducing Nonqualified Plans
- Module 2: Nonqualified Plan Fundamentals
- Module 3: Plan Design Provisions
- Module 4: Nonqualified Plan Tax Considerations and Plan Financing
- Module 5: Plan Marketing and Implementation
NQPA-2: Advanced Plan Designs Online Course
- Module 1: Employer Incentive and Equity Plans
- Module 2: Life Insurance and Informal Funding of Nonqualified Plans
- Module 3: Nonprofits and Rabbi Trusts
- Module 4: Income and Accounting
- Module 5: Practical Case Studies
About The Authors
Jeff Acheson, CPWA®, CFP®, CPFATM, AIF®, CEPA®
Jeff’s 40-year career path in the financial services industry has created a value proposition that is an exceptional and diversified integration of credentialed education, experience-based knowledge, and industry leadership. His fiduciary-based business model focuses on enhancing his ability to be a trusted advisor to high-net-worth individuals, families, businesses and their mission critical employees, retirement plan sponsors and charitable organizations.
- American Retirement Association
Board of Directors
- Government Affairs Committee
- National Association of Plan Advisors (NAPA)
- Past Chairman – Government Affairs Committee
- American Society of Pension Professionals and Actuaries (ASPPA) Member
- Financial Planning Association (FPA) Member
- Investment Management Consultants Association® (IMCA) Member
- Journal of Pension Benefits – Columnist
Barry K. Downey
Barry is a co-founder of Smith & Downey, a U.S. law firm with a national practice concentrating in employee benefits, executive compensation, and labor and employment law.
Barry’s practice deals with all aspects of employee benefits and executive compensation law. He has extensive experience in designing, drafting, and providing advice concerning all types of employee benefit and executive compensation programs. Barry’s clients range from professional and entrepreneurial firms with just a few employees to international conglomerates with hundreds of thousands of employees. He represents publicly traded, privately held, tax-exempt, church related and governmental employers, as well as service firms — such as financial institutions, third-party administrators, benefits consultants, insurance professionals and accounting firms — that provide employers with employee benefits and executive compensation services.
Barry recently updated and revised the training materials used to support the National Association of Plan Advisors (NAPA) Nonqualified Deferred Compensation Advisor Certificate Program for the American Society of Pension Professionals & Actuaries (ASPPA) (dba/American Retirement Association).
Barry also is a co-author of the Nonqualified Deferred Compensation Answer Book, now in its Tenth Edition, published by Wolters Kluwer Legal & Regulatory U.S. (Copyright © 2020 CCH Incorporated).
Since 1995, Barry has received the highest possible peer review ratings from Martindale Hubbell (AV® PreeminentTM) for ethical standards and professional ability. Since 2010, Barry has been peer selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Employee Benefits
Frequently Asked Questions
- All NAPA Members are eligible to receive a free enrollment code for the NQPA course.
- Non-NAPA Members can receive an enrollment code from an education partner or purchase a NAPA membership to receive their access.
- NAPA and our education partners have distributed enrollment codes to our members and affiliates to provide access to the NQPA online certificate program. Check your email and spam folders if you have not received your code.
- NAPA members that have not received an enrollment code can request one by emailing Customer Care. Non-members can purchase a NAPA Membership to receive their code.
- The NQPA™ education program is split into two parts:
- NQPA-1: Plan Fundamentals
- NQPA-2: Advanced Plan Designs
- Learners should expect to spend at least 10 hours of study in each part.
- Each part is comprised of 5 (five) interactive modules, followed by a 50- question assessment.
- NQPA-1: Plan Fundamentals
- Introducing Nonqualified Plans
- Nonqualified Plan Fundamentals
- Plan Design Provisions
- Nonqualified Plan Tax Considerations and Plan Financing
- Plan Marketing and Implementation
- NQPA-2: Advanced Plan Designs
- Employer Incentive and Equity Plans
- Life Insurance and Informal Funding of Nonqualified Plans
- Nonprofits and Rabbi Trusts
- Income and Accounting
- Practical Case Studies
- $390 for NAPA Members/Non-Members
NAPA’s Broker-Dealer and RIA Firm Partners are eligible for volume discounts on proctored exams. For more information, please contact SAMTeam@usaretirement.org.
- NAPA Credential Maintenance Fees
- $72 (2022) with NAPA Firm Partner*
*Please Note: if you currently hold other designations in other American Retirement Association organizations and add the NQPA, your dues will be different than above. If you are not a NAPA Member and not affiliated with a NAPA Firm Partner, your dues will be different than above. Please contact Customer Care with questions.
- Once you have been notified of a passing score on your exam, you will submit your credential application at https://napamember.org/membership
- Names appear on the NAPA Credential Check website in the beginning of the month following when your designation was approved. Example: Your application to earn the NQPA is approved on November 10, 2022. Your name will appear on the NAPA Credential Check website sometime in the first two weeks of December 2022.
- NQPA-1: 7.5 CE
- NQPA-2: 8.5 CE